Sunday, February 26, 2006

There I was, standing by her home's door, about to knock. I was thinking very desperately on how I must react on the situation at hand. To and fro, words from me and my ego where hurled; all to no avail. Then, like a loser that I was, I simply gave up on myself and knocked at the door with the words "what ever happens, happens" in my mind. Like a cheetah reaching its top speed within seconds, my heart pounded just as rapidly. Slowly, the door swung open. It was her aunt who answered. I introduced myself to her in a formal manner at the same time averting her eyes. In response, she let me in with a smile, knowing that I'm a friend of her niece's. She had me sit down at the living room chair and wait...
Wait...
Wait...
Wait...

It seemed so long, maybe because I was too tense at that time... She called me the night before and she was crying. I skipped my summer class field trip/exam just to be there by her side. It seemed so long... Two minutes, seemed so long for me... Finally, she came out of her room. I must admit, she was a total wreck. She faked a smile as she approached me. How did I know it was a fake? Her eyes are sore from crying. This is it; this is the moment I've been thinking of a few minutes ago; there she stood, feigning happiness right in front of me, I knew she was down.. WHAT SHOULD I DO? Should I hug her, or not? Should I assist her to a chair and try comforting her, or not? WHAT SHOULD I DO!? Being the jerk that most people know, I merely stayed at my seat and waited for her to sit beside me. I forgot what happened next, all I knew was agreed in accompanying her to the local market to buy some ingredients for our lunch.

I laughed to myself as we walked to the local market; she looked silly wearing big shades. Obviously, she was trying to hide her bulging eyes. I remember tagging along behind her as she zoomed from one section of the market to the other. There was a moment when she clasped my arms, I found that satisfying; it meant that she trusted me… I glanced at her and saw a smile on her face. I don't know how, but maybe, just maybe, she was smiling because I was there for her in her time of need. Content as I was, I started to think; I've been with this lady for more than 2 years now but only as a friend of hers. It's been long enough for each of us to know each other very well. I was with her all the time! I was there whenever she needed me, just like now. I am confident and I know that I can make her smile thru her times of misery, I CAN make her smile. Maybe we can get to a higher level now... maybe... just maybe...

A few moments later, we walked back to her home. She's smiling a bit now. I remember carrying a bag of monggo beans, 1/4 kg of pork, a large bag of chicharon, and a small bundle of ampalaya leaves in two separate plastic bags. And her arms clasped around mine. It was very much satisfying knowing that you, as a human being, can be of use to other people. Just like how I was for her.

We reached their home; she and her aunt cooked the food while I stayed at the living room with her cousin, talking about computer games and school. I stayed at their house until 10 in the eve (from 9 in the morn) making sure that she was better. After waving good bye and wishing them well, I set for my home. As I stood beside the street waiting for a jeep, it dawned upon me: this trip seemed to be for me, not for her! It was I who felt so much better compared to her! It made my ego laugh. It made me laugh. It made my heart laugh with content.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home